Saturday, November 6, 2010

The Tanners House and the Petrified Forest

Outside the painted Ladies

After finally getting our rental car - it's kind of a bitch getting everything rented here - we went to see the Tanner house! Yay! The only thing except the bridge that I really wanted to see. Now, every time I watch the show, I can say " I've been there", just like the ol' show geek I am from time to time.

 Heading out from the city, Mom got to drive on the Golden Gate Bridge. Something fun for her to check of the list :) It was so foggy over and around the bridge that we couldn't see the actual construction of it until we drove 'under' it, still we couldn't see up to the top! It was an interesting experience in addition to our first drive on the bridge when it was sunny with a blue sky and you had the water glistening all around you.

Crazy how you couldn't see the bridge!
Our adventure for today would be to go to the Petrified Forest and to see the Redwood trees. We did the first of the two, deciding it wasn't worth driving 3,5 hours north to see the Redwood trees, when everything else on our to-do-list is to the east and to the south of San Fransisco.  
It was kind of tricky to find this easy-to-find-tourist attraction. We kept getting tossed with different directions all over the place. Well, now we can say we've seen Santa Rosa and it's surroundings - for sure! The landscape was just beautiful! With huge hills and mountains reaching up above cloud level and with wine yards stretching all over it was quiet a view. I also loved all the hills and fields with sheep's and cows while driving out of San Fransisco this morning. I have never seen so many cows in America haha, and it was on my way from one of the places where I the least would have expected it. Anyways, It was gorgeous! Worth the drive, I don't know where else I've seen such a landscape before? With the hills like that? I can't recall I have?


The Petrified Forest became a big disappointment. The walk through the little park was very short, with almost no information on the signs. The actual petrified trees were cool, but it didn't reach the expectations we had on the place.

Now we are resting in Sacramento, figuring out our next moves. Where to next? Hopefully we can hit up some National Parks in Nevada and Utah tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment