Monday, August 9, 2010

Day 9 ~ My two dreams in Hawaii comes true!

TODAY WAS THE DAY -


Today was the day when the two things I wanted to see and do in Hawaii happened!
Just like that - without me planning and for free! (I have to add that, cause the total would have been about $200 if I had paid for it!!)



We woke up early in the morning, trying to stretch out for as long as possible, and headed out to eat breakfast on the beach. Oh, we really had a good spot people! While we are sitting there eating our Nutella sandwiches, PBJ's and chips, no less then three sea turtles swim in to our bay and crawl up on the beach. Corey grabs his camera and head over to them immediately. Finally he get's to see his first wild sea turtles up close. I grab my snorkeling gear and slowly slide in to the water praying they wont be afraid of my paparazzi friend.


Slowly they get back in to the water after posing a while for Corey and I get to swim with them!! BAM!! Dream coming true right there! No one back home who talked to me before I left, missed how I would do anything, pay anything to swim with turtles. And here I were, randomly camping by their breakfast bay in Hawaii. And there they were! I swam with them slowly. Just watched them. The sun came out and the light just glistened as the water moved above us. They were so beautiful. Just chilling there. Floating around slowly eating their breakfast - even yawning haha! Everything is so different when you snorkel. Everything is so quiet, time stand still and it's just so relaxing. You feel that you could swim there forever. I test my luck and reach out to touch her, and she let me! She is so big, what I had hoped, but still more then I had dared to imagine. I am in freaking turtle heaven just touching, staring, and touching again. Afraid to scare her, just trying to glide next to her. I finally swim with my beloved turtles! It might sound like I am having a crush here, but they really are my favorite animals! I was prepared to pay $100 to swim with them, and now, they were joining us for breakfast. And I got to approach them on my own, for free! I snap some pictures, Corey join me and I get some pictures of them together. Then he make me so jealous, I can't remember when I had that feeling before; he push his luck further and hold her shell. I snap more pictures as she take off. I never thought a turtle could move so fast. She gives him a ride and my heart beat rises to 210 miles an hour! He did it. I just looked at him, so happy, we both were. It was amazing. I can't describe what it felt like. I was finally snorkeling with turtles and I had a new best friend to share it with, someone who now was as excited as me!






The turtles took off and we snorkeled around a little more and got out of the water with the biggest smiles. Happy and excited we put all our stuff back at the camp site and headed over to see my friend Jessy at Four Miles. My, he would love this story! Jessy was hanging out with his three year old daugther Anela (which mean Angel in Hawaiian) and I finally got to meet her. He talked so much about her the past few days since I met him and his friends. She was super cute but really shy. I watched her and Jessy play and I missed my boys so much! Later when Jessy went to take Anela home I called them. I swear I lit up the beach more then the sun itself when I got to talk to Liam and Aidan! It felt like I had been gone for a 100 years, they both had so much to tell me. Hugs and kisses to the sweetest boys!


After chilling at four miles we went back to check on our stuff. We walked slowly, taking our time. We played around and walked through a swamp. It was fun. Everyday, we had the conversation how awesome it is that you can walk anywhere in your swim clothes without being scared off  alligators, snakes, spiders and other creepy, scary and most of all; DANGEROUS creatures. We enjoyed the sinking sand and the cool trees - more cool pictures. When we arrived to our spot we got a little nervous, there was several families there. Saturdays and Sundays, this place, obviously weren't very secluded. Well well, we chance it and walk up to our stuff, like we know what we're doing. One of the families end up inviting us to their BBQ. They didn't have to ask us twice, with lack of cooking supplies, we would never turn down a free hot meal! It was good! Some of us take a swim, just playing around in the water and then we talk about all different kind of things and try to nestle in our big interest to see the lava flow. In a sneaky way we manage to invite them, to take us, to see the lava! Ha! Skills! We exchange numbers, deciding to leave 2 hours later, after dark. Bingo!


We relaxed at 'our house', a house on the other side of the bay which no one seemed to use. Some people said it was empty, others said an old lady lived there. It looked like a conference house/office though. It was super nice with the ocean in the front and a beach next to it. I mean, who wouldn't like to have a beach house as an office? Anyways, the power was on with out lets outside, the water was on as well with a hose screaming for us to take showers. So that's were we were hanging out, talking, chilling and blogging, until our new friends; Tim, Beau and Shaleia. Shaleia from Guam, is Tim's pregnant girl friend. They were just visiting the island, turns out she had no idea about the lava. So with six months twins in her tummy she joins in! Crazy!


The ride to the flow ended up being very long, with several stops for no need to explain reasons. Our top though must have been the FLAT TIRE! Of course we need a flat tire on every island! (Also, I got a flat tire with the boys the day before they left for Indiana and me soon about to go to Hawaii) I mean what is up with my luck in paradise?!?


We soon realize that we don't have the tools needed; the freaking jack is missing! Tim and Beau start calling people with no luck.Well now, Sara had a plan this night; she was going to see flowing lava - LIVE! No time to lose, I needed to get there, NOW! I stepped out on the road signaling with my cell phone and soon a car pulled over. Skills ;) Then we finally got everything needed and start switching the tire. And here's for you MOM:
Just because my mom freaked out on me last time when I got a flat tire on the Jeep, I had to do this. Just to prove to her that I too, could freaking switch a tire (without putting the jack on wrong so the entire car falls down and the side mirror hit my daugthers head - MOM!)  For some reason she gave me a hard time last time, and this time there wouldn't be any room for that! Also, since I do know how to do it, I rather had my hands in the mess too, not just  letting some strangers do it. I know it was their car - but I was sitting in it too, and my new Bestie! At least I would know one tire would make it all the way to the lava. Just kidding! Corey for some reason brings out his tripod and start cracking up making it all become a photo shoot while we are three people working on the tire. These guys did have some weired ideas though, good thing there was a woman there to straighten up the situation! ;)


We keep driving with Shaleia giving her dear boyfriend a hard time about driving, it was hilarious! She burned him so good!
Anyways, we soon reach our road and since it's Hawaii we get bombed with "KAPU"-signs, trespassings and warnings. We still meet cars and pass some parked once. Dude, we really needed to get in to the flow, what's the difference between trespassing and trespassing? We keep driving. When we reach the dead end we see the flow in the distance everywhere. It lights up like fire out in the black fields. AWESOME! We step out in the drizzling rain, cussing about the cold, but happy that Hawaiian rain almost never last longer then 5-10 minutes. 


We all start climbing out on the lava field. It's crazy, we are all so excited! Imagine that we were walking on new born ground! That we were walking on ground that might not have been walked on yet. Cool stuff, very cool stuff! We get closer and closer to the red lights, everything is so quiet, except the crunshing under our shoes. Like frosty snow, or cereals haha! The rocky ground looks like it just been poured out over the landskape. Like Pele (The Volcano Godess) just got done with some of her cooking. It looks so soft and creamy, but don't be fooled, lava is super sharp! I fall and hurt my leg but I am to excited to think about it, I have to get out there - Fast! (like it would go away huh? stupid me...) Finally out by the flow, I just stare. It's amazing, more than amazing, I don't know where to begin. It's really hot, the lava is still flowing slowly on the ground. I look at Corey and I just know he is as amazed by Mother Nature as I am. We start taking pictures, just admiring and praising nature for how beautiful this is. Watching earth being born, it's way cool, way way way cool! 


After a while we loosen up a little, take some really cool jump pictures in front of the flow and just enjoy it. A lady hands us a long wooden stick and we even pick up some of the lava. It was so hot!  I tried to cover my face both when I picked up the lava and when I reached out to take close up pictures. Just being a few feet away. Again; so cool! I was afraid that the lens on my camera would damage from the heat, but I was quick and the pictures turned out fair enough good with my camera and cell phone. But I can't wait to get the pictures we took with Corey's camera. Those pictures are breath taking!


I wish we could just have stayed there, camped out, watched the lava flow, the moon and the stars. 


But it became time to leave way to soon, the air by a volcano is not very healthy to breath in, especially not for a pregnant woman who just hiked in the middle of the night!
We went back to the car and cheered with a shot or two, still up in the blue over what we just had seen. 


Back at the tent I realized that my clumsiness out at the field was a little worse then I thought, My legs were stained in blood and I see this deeper scratch. Aooouuuiii! As much as I hope not to get a scar across my leg, it's kind of cool to have it from new born ground out from a lava field :D

4 comments:

  1. Hahaha i HAD to take pics ofthe flat. ESP when you stepped in and took over. Too funny!

    And no doubt about the lava. I cant WAIT to see the pics. I want that vid u took as well :) we'll settle everythig when i get back on a real computer

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Especially"? You didn't even notice till you were done lol! :p

    Me neither!! I just updated day 9 n 10 w turtle pics. I didn't edit them yet tho, figured I'll wait for a better program ;)

    Can't wait till you get back so that I too, can enjoy all the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No way! Those turned out really good! Cant wait to get home to see and trade all the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know, right?! :D I am so freakin excited! Well, you're finally home now :) Hope you had n awesome time

    ReplyDelete