Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Day 5 ~ Manoa Falls and Island hopping

Today was another early wake up, like I said earlier; a 24 hour rental is a 24 hour rental. I met up with John and Corey and we headed out to hike the Manoa Falls. Of course with our luck this far on the scooters, there is no public parking. We chain our scooters together by making a mega chain out of our locks and hope for them not to tow away the hole street sign ("Park at own risk, towing on owners expence", or something) we're using as our parking spot. It's a shorter hike up to the falls and the scenery was amazing, Mother Nature sure did a good job at this place. Stepping on to the trail, we immediately feel the heat and moister from the rain forest. I started of with climbing up in this giant rain forest tree for a quick pose before we started our hike. ´To my delight; the trail was super MUDDY! Weeeeiii! Running up in my new gym shoes, I do good keeping them white, until this dog from nowhere step on my foot.... Well well, it would have happened some how during that hike anyways, no doubt.
We reach the falls, and it was not what I expected. It was a tiny ass fall and the scenery was nothing different comparing to what we saw while hiking up. The water fall about 150 feet down to a small pool, which we to my disappointment can't enter. We snap a few fast pictures and then we head down the mud slide. I run before my friends and start sneak around in the bamboo forest. My matching skills with a blue dress and white shoes gives me away and I head back to the trail again.

Our rides are still safe at the parking lot (Like they actually would have towed the whole thing lol) and we decided to drive up along a area called Round Top. It was a nice last drive on the scooters. Every time we came to steep hills I turned my engine off and just rolled. It was so nice and quiet. And so fast! I rolled miles on my scooter, proudly saving Nature.

We got back to the scooter rental place at 11.10 am (they were supposed to be back at 11.30am) we then realized that we completely had forgotten to ride out to Walmart to buy snorkeling gear. We talked to the staff and sweet as they were they gave us an extra hour!  Now it was just one more rush; to head back from Walmart (with too much things on the scooter) to the hostel; it was time for my check out at 12.00pm...

No worries, checked out at 12.30 I continued my repacking in the lobby down stairs. I forgot to tell you all that the hostel it self was amazing. So many crazy fun people come and go there. They have a flat screen TV and a sit down lobby/chill area, outside under a roof and there is people working and moving in/out 24 / 7. Every night (except Mondays) they offer a $4 BBQ - Perfect!

Today was my last day in Oahu, I had a booked flight to the Big Island and I had totally forgotten about it while having so much fun earlier this morning. With two hours of wait before I had to leave for the air port we decided to hit up the beach. It was nice, we were super exhausted and it was the first time I could lay down at and play on the beach since my arrival. My two hours were too short - of course and I had to get back.

I met up with Matt for the first time since we arrived and we took of to the air port. You think it went smooth this time? Noep. We took a cab out and got dropped of at the wrong side of the air port. Waited for a shuttle and luckily made it right on time. While waiting for our flight we hear our names in the speaker; the gates had been changed and we had missed our boarding. Awesome. This lady takes us on a golf/luggage car and we race out to the plane. The flight it self was fast and easy. And cold, the AC steamed all the way up to the ceiling. Anyways, do I have to say that we were the last people off the plane as well?

After chitchatting with some guys from the Jehovah's Witnesses (why on earth would you stand on a tiny airport at 10 pm making 'comercial' for tiered tourists for your beliefs? ooohhh..), we jump in to this old cab car from the 60's or so and head out to Arnott's Camping and Lodging. Of course we will have more troubles this night;
After checking in for about 15 minutes the lady at the front desk says; "What color tent do you have?" I choke a laugh saying; "Tent? I don't have a tent." I start laughing and just put my hands up to my face. Great just what I needed. It said; bed and room online, not person per tent! She gives us a deal on a room for the night. We laugh and put away our stuff. No way I was going to pay 2-3 times more for my entire stay at the Big Island! Noep, 10.30 pm we walked two miles downtown for dinner and then another two miles to Walmart. Sara was buying a tent. I found a tent for $20 and a sleeping bag and pillow for another $18. Great, that was less then the amount I would have payed for 1½ night in a shared dorm. Walking out from Walmart with tent and food we notice the rain. Awesome. No way; time for the first real hitch in my life. And I did good, the second guy walking out picked us up. He also showed us some good secluded spots for free camping! What a day.. what a Night...

No comments:

Post a Comment