Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Day 1 ~ Departure

Our day of departure was crazy.
I was doing last minute shopping, which of course led to some last minute packing, while being super rushed.
I tried to get in touch with Matt all morning, but like I thought, he slept in an hour or two.. I ran some last minute errands to the bank, just to realize that all my bank accounts were jacked up and that the new settings for them, charged me $10 every time I swiped my card. Panic! When did I use cash the last time?? Well... lesson learned.. This super nice lady at the bank were amazing and she helped me to remodel my accounts and everything connected to them. God bless customer friendly people who works within customer services, she saved my trip right there and then! After spending way to much time at the bank it was time to grab some Popeye's and run to the air port. I arrived, all set and ready, 1½ hours before our flight, just to realize that Matt will be < drums > one hour late!! I waited for him outside, making time fly by talking to all these random travelers. It's always interesting to hear peoples stories, you almost always learn something new. I had a fair enough long conversation with a guy from Texas who were in DC/MD for a business trip. He travel a lot for his company and gave me a bunch of tips and ideas. My favorite tip was Vegas, a tip everyone gives me - I can't wait to go to Vegas Baby!! Parteeeeey!
Anyways, Matt finally showed up, (after I almost made my new found friend miss his flight with our long conversation) with the biggest bag I've ever seen! What was he thinking??! All those clothes and shoes! His bag was definitely packed À la Anna Jansson! (I know you're a better packer these days Anna, but some memories tend not to fade..) I laughed at him for a few minutes while giving him a strict speech À la Nanny-Sara (that I would give him a class in Packing 101 and 102 while in Hawaii). The guy behind the counter gave him two trash bags so that he wouldn't have to check in an over packed bag. To irritate and stress me even more, my dear traveling companion had to go outside for a smoke before departure(!) I grabbed my carry on luggage (which was ALL I was bringing btw) and headed through security alone. Matt came after to the gates when he was done with his smoking and drinks. Great.
You think we're good to go now? Haha, pssshyyy, of course not! After waiting for take off for 35 minutes, the pilot announce that we have computer problems and that we have to switch to another plane. Takes us another 45 minutes to an hour to board the new flight. Awesome - we missed our connection flight in LA to Oahu! But no worries, they would fix it. We took off and a few hours and snack bags (not to forget the J&C's for my friend) later we finally arrived in LA! You think we were good to fly to Hawaii now? Of course not! There were no more flights to Hawaii! Stuck on a huge air port in LA, we finally found the information center. I charm the lady as a Swedish back packing student, admiring her good job at the desk (I love how that work every time!) and in 20 minutes we had a new flight to Oahu the next morning, a hotel room reservation and dinner in LA - oh, did I mention we also got a bonus online? (Later we met irritated families at the hotel, who were cramped up in small rooms without dinner - it's all about your attitude people! Be nice and people will be nice to you! Golden rule while traveling - Golden rule in life!)
We enjoyed our free hotel stay and the dinner and called it around midnight. It had been a long day, and so far we had only made it half ways..

No comments:

Post a Comment