Friday, August 13, 2010

Day 12 ~ My unexpected bonus, another dream coming true!

Out out out! I woke up hearing people and just flew out from the tent. Aoouuuutccch! Shouldn't have done that! My body was sour and aching, I looked at my hips and tried to see my back, fair enough the lava had left sweet memories for the day; I was bruised up.

The people were kind of park rangers, walking the trail making sure it was maintained. They didn't bother us, just saying good morning wishing us a good day and reminding us to not leave any trash. No problem! I would leave this place faster then lightning and I wouldn't have time to trash the place down even if I had wanted.

We start walking and immediately get a ride! Blessings! The guy, Kaloni,  is super cool and he take us all the way to Kaelekuela Bay. Turn's out we hit a jack pot meeting him. He is the son of the guy who claims he owns the place (bay) and they rent kayaks there every day. We met his dad, Uncle Lawrence, when we arrived and they told us about all the uncles and that we would have no troubles here since we were friends of them. Sweet! Not even cops would care to bother us here (not that they would have reason too) and that would make camping way easier!

They told us were to camp and we finally found Our Spot! This was a sweet place, we were right by the water, back by the animal life and we were secluded from all the roads and tourists thanks to the jungle and all the big trees. Heaven baby!

We do some snorkeling; not to much fish at the moment, but the water was amazingly blue, clear and the sand was white. I loved it! We could also hear dolphins in a far distance.

Corey decided to just relax and finally read. No time to "waste" for me though! I head over to the tourist site and check out the signs. We were by the Captain Cook Monument. I spy out again, and accross the bay I see this tiny white shape. Hmmmpf, what a monument... I keep reading the signs about the snorkeling, kayaking and there's what I had hoped for; The coral reef is across the bay (by the monument) and it's one of the best reefs on the island. My surprise (there's always one of those!) Spinner Dolphins! Wohooo! Maybe I would see some?!

I meet two guys and a girl who also plan to swim across the bay, we decide to go out together. For as much as I love swimming it does feel better to swim 2 miles with someone. Especially since I just read about the bays moray eels(!). The girl start complaining before we even start our swim and one of the guys stay with her. James and I decide to swim alone, not willing to pass up a nice adventure. Again we hear the dolphins in the far distance, soon we get out on deeper water and cant see the bottom of the ocean anymore. Everything is blue. It was a crazy feeling, back home in Sweden the water's so dark. I just enjoyed it. The feeling of just swim in all this blue, not knowing if something all of a sudden would show up, was really cool. I wished Corey would have joined us, I bet he would have loved it too.

After swimming for maybe 15 minutes we reach a crowd of kayaks. We look around. Why is it all of a sudden so crowded? We take off our goggles and check it out. SPLASH! There's a dolphin showing off with a spinning flip! I stare at James and we both put the gear back on and start swimming - Fast! When we get closer we see more dolphins jumping and gliding by. We are the only once in the water. Crazy. I look straight down trying to swim even faster. When I turn up my head to make sure theres no kayaks hitting me in the head I realize I have 3 THREE dolphins next to my face, about 2 feet (30 cm) away!!! They swim by looking at me. I freeze; "Shit, what should I do? Flipper was nice, so I should be alright. Right?" I look down and there comes 3 more dolphins swimming in a row, right under me. Amazing! I get up to the surface to see if James is close by. Sure is. I keep diving around. This is unbelievable! Turns out there is a family of 30 dolphins, swimming in groups of ten and in sets of three, and they are all around us! Again; I'm in heaven!

The dolphins keep flipping around  and swim in amazing formations. I always thought they were trained to swim next to each other so close and straight, but they do it naturally. I couldn't believe my eyes as they put on the unexpected show for us.

After a while, with chasing kayaks, they kept swimming down the bay. We caught our breath without snorkeling gear. A family shout to us from a boat. I had encouraged their son (the only other person in the water while we swam with the dolphins) to come with and swim with the dolphins, and now they asked us were our boat were. They thought it had drifted away. I laughed and said we had swam all the way and, like all other people, they looked at us like we were retarded. They offered us a ride we definitely wouldn't turn down. Wohoo it's so much faster to take a race boat then fins. We dived in again together with the family and there it was, the coral reef! The sun was out and all the beautiful fishes swam around in huge schools, not afraid at all. Everything was so calm. I dived deeper and  enjoyed myself, crossing through them. Playfully I pointed at everything with James and I almost thought for a moment that we would hear "Under the Sea" playing out loud. To my disappointment it didn't.

The family was very talkative and took us all the way back to the other side. Mmmm felt so nice not to swim. Bless "hitching" with boats as well ;)

Only bummer with this experience; I DIDN'T BRING MY UNDER WATER CAMERA! I decided it was to long of a swim to bring it and that I would use it the next day when Corey went as well (and we even might go with a kayak?). Darn it! I could have had close up photos with the freaking dolphins! And they were the beautiful kind too, they were spinner dolphins and not bottled nosed dolphins or something else. I was so bummed about that. But then, it is an experience that no pictures ever could have captured.

When I got back I found Corey sleeping with his book on the beach, I woke him up and told him all about my afternoon. Later we got a ride with Kaloni to the store and we ended up going to a Chinese restaurant, not the best but it felt good after a long day.

Back at the beach we got stalked by this high guy. He was everywhere. Oh Lord he could talk. He gave us this teary story, but since he was high, it was just fun to listen to. He taught us how to open some nuts (again; when in Hawaii, everything opens with a rock) and when he finally decided to head back to his friends, we sat up camp. The waves were really strong and loud. After showers and blogging, when it was time for bed, it really freaked me out and it took forever to fall asleep.. My iPOD even had time to die on me...

No comments:

Post a Comment