Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Day 4 ~ A crazy round trip on a green flash!

I don't think I have to describe how slow my wake up this morning was? Well well, got my clothes on and a few toasts pressed down in my tummy. Corey and John showed up and all my thoughts about sleeping in were gone. I had all energy in the world and we went next door to rent our scooters. $52 for a 24 hour scooter rental and with a full tank to start off with. I eyed the green scooter outside, sooo geeky but still so awesome! Come to Mama!

A fun side note; While signing our papers Corey and I start 'fighting' about who's copying who with last names, wasting time fooling around. I was a 110% sure that he was messing around when he wrote Corey Hansen on his rentals, but it turned out that I for the first time in years and years had walked in to someone with the same last name!

I raced out to make sure I would get the scooter I wanted. Of course I got the red one. The wrong one. Time to  put on the charm and switch keys. Ding! There I were, with my green scooter, all set to go - and Corey had the girlie red one (tho I'm sure he thought it was cool, I just had a thing for the green one). After a quick tour around the block things felt pretty cool and off we went. We caught up to John by a look out off Diamond Head. There we took some cool pictures of the gang and our rides. Then John (of course) get out a map and it was time to really start the adventure.

It was so much fun riding around on those things, we crossed lanes, raced and cruised along the coast and it was extremely beautiful. The sun was shining and the bays and cliffs we passed looked amazing. On our left side we passed mountains and valleys and on our right side we had the ocean spreading out with all its waves and the beautiful beaches. I saw so many places where I just wanted to stop and freeze forever. It was gorgeous! The cherry on top was when I looked down in on of the bays and saw my my first ginormous wild hawaiian sea turtle! I was like; Woooaahhhh LOOOOK it's a TURTLE, omg why am I up here and not down there????!!!

After a few hours ride we stopped to swim, it was super nice! But no time to relax in the water - we had a schedule; Sunset at North Shore!
North Shore was beautiful and we arrived right on time and took some really awesome jumping pictures in the sunset. I can't wait for us to get home and get all the pictures on my computer! So excited!

We decided to cut through the mountains on our way home, and silly us; we didn't check the gas before we left. Half way up the hill Corey and I realize that we are running on almost empty tanks! Woaaaa! We kept driving and finally we reached a town with houses. But for some reason there's fences everywhere. Kicker! Guess what?! We are riding through a freaking military base! And there is nowhere for outsiders to fill up gas! But they are nice enough to share every single red light they have with us..! Nervously we kept driving as the sun went down. We passed a Dolé Banana Plantation but still no gas station. Getting real nervous now, we head up past another hill, and there it is! Pushing our scooters up the hill on empty tanks, we, guess what? yep, we hit another freaking red light! After filling up the gas (me with some trouble; ended up trying different cards and spilling half a gallon on my feet) we are, again, all set to go.

It was dark on our way down hills and we rode along with a few biker guys. I looked at them and challenged with my scooter and off we went! They beat me to the next light which turned red. I cruised up on my scooter with a big smile challenging again. The guy laughs and all that echoes in my head is the car joke from back home in VA ; "How does it feel to pay so much more money for a ride, just to reach the next red light before a scooter girl?" We kept hitting a few lights and then they took off. I guess I lost that one.

Corey had been complaining about his scooter for a while. Saying it went slower and slower, and that it's all jacked up when he turns. We decided to have a race and pump up the scooters to max, to see who could go the fastest (just like kids, I know..). Of course the lady won! By far, with good music on my iPOD I just blew away and they both disappeared  in the dark behind me. I kept following the Honolulu signs but all of a sudden I realized I had taken the wrong Honolulu ramp! I was out on a four lane high way with no street lights and a speed limit over 45. Riding along for a bit trying to cross all the lanes, I finally pull over to call the guys to see where they are. Surprise; My phone is in Corey's scooter! I'm standing alone in the dark with honking cars around me. Great. I wasn't worried, thinking I'd just pull a Miss Sweden and find my way back some how. When I was about to take off and complete my, probably somewhat stupid plan, there They where! The scooter guys to my rescue! Brining out their iPhones with Google maps, and we found a new way home. The rest of the trip home was in a good spirit. I got a kick with super much energy, sang and danced my way home. Unforgettable how great it felt! When we got real close to our place Corey gave up on his bike and pulled over. I offered to try it, and it was crazy. Just jumping and hacking. I turned around laughing; "Maybe you got a flat tire?" We check and very true, Mr. have been driving from the high way on a flat tire!! lmao! phhheeew, it was so funny. We called the rental guys and they headed down with a new scooter for him (after he pushed it, I don't know how many blocks - laughing again!)

John decided to head back to his hotel, so we smuggled in his scooter at the hostel parking lot and then Corey and I took off again. If you have a 24 hour rental you have a TWENTY-FOUR HOUR rental!! You don't waste time. Now Corey got a sporty scooter as well and we headed out on the streets of Waikiki again. After cruising around some more, we reached a private beach in a distanced park and decided to check it out. We laid down under some bushes with Hawaiian flowers (God they smell so gooood!!) and just reflected over the day. We kept watching the stars (which, if anyone happen to miss that, is one of my favorite things in the world to do!) and discuss the possibilities and ways of photographing them. I have never had a camera good enough to take pictures of the stars, now my friend promised me that he would teach me on his. Guess who's getting a new camera when she get's back to DC? For sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment