Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Day 6 ~ The first Locals and The Big Island get a new visitor

We wake up pretty early, I check out from my room saying that I will stay one more night at the camping. Said and done, all my bookings at the Big Island disappeared right there and then, from tomorrow morning I would be 'homeless'. Matt and I set up the tent and here's the next awesome surprise; we took the wrong tent out of the two, and I were now stuck in a Junior beginners tent! Imagine all the luck I have had this far on my trip?! Or just try to imagine 2 grown ups, and Matt's big freaking duffel bag in there! I had more then two weeks to go, this all better turn around - quickly!


After putting up the tent and charmed our way in to keeping our luggage in the old rooms we head out to find our own camping spots. Also debating whether we should exchange our tent or get a second one. We end up in the jungle by the beach. Perfect. I would wake up in paradise every morning! 

One of our front yard views
Ha! Beat that Arnott's! We kept walking along the beach and through the jungle just to enter a tiny fish farm. It looked old and abandoned so we walked on the old walls. And little did we know! We found two big sea turtles just laying there chilling!! Out with the camera like any other crazy tourist. Finally I got to see my beloved turtles up close! One of the major reasons I wanted to go to Hawaii was so that I could swim with sea turtles. And here they were, just waiting for Me! (At least let me believe that was the case, I'm in my happy bubble right now)

She was so beautiful!
We kept on walking after enjoying the turtles and we meet some of the locals. Now, this was the best thing that could have happened to us (except the turtles of course). We introduced ourselves and made friends with Jessy, and Russel with friends. They always come down to the beach (called 4 Miles by the locals) to fish. I saw Jessy go out in the water with a big net and I ran after in my gym shoes. No freaking way on earth that I would take off my shoes on lava rocks. That lesson I already learned earlier this morning. Lava rocks are the only thing I walked on this far that actually painfully hurt my feet. Put me on gravel or in a pine tree forest and I'll be fine, but on lava rocks - I don't think so! Anyways, I spend a good amount of time out on the cliffs learning how to throw a fishing net hawaiian style. And I made it! On my first try even! It was so much fun! The net itself was really really heavy and after a while I have to give up for the day. I swim back in together with Jessy's puppy Maka (which mean Eye in Hawaiian), she's so pretty! Back on the beach we got to try their lunch. Local raw fish in special home made sauces. I was really skeptic to try it, afraid to get food poisoned to be honest, but it was great! Even the raw tuna was good, and so you all know; I don't eat tuna! I was chocked and took another bite. And another...


Class II. we walk over to a fish farm, which is right across the street, and watch all these crazy big fishes! What caught my attention though, was the coconut tree and the Macadamia nuts. Russel taught me how to open them and Lord they were so tasty! We also brought a coconut back with us to 4 miles and we got a lesson in how to open them by hand, or Loco (local style) as they say. After opening the first part we start a new recording, so the first crack you see on the video is fake, just to make my new found friends happy. They really wanted the whole thing on the video, but trust me, Jessy was fighting with the coconut before it opened up for him. It's super hard to open, but it was really worth it! Matt stood on the side and laughed at me the whole time - pssshyyy, I would have liked to see Him open a coconut! Haha. The juice/water inside was so tasty and the fruit meat was amazing as well. I don't like coconut really, but I totally killed this one!

[Video Error]


After enjoying the fruit Israel, one of the local kids (you saw him in the video) taught me how to fish with his fishing pole. He's a really smart kid and I really missed my Liam and Aidan while hanging out with him and some of the other even younger kids. Usually it's them teaching me all the cool stuff. Jessy joined us and showed us a new place to find turtles, and right on, there it was. Just relaxing in the bay!


Matt had a little to much to drink, so I walked him back home when everyone were done at the beach and I dumped him in the tent. Now it was just to wait for one more hour; Corey, my new best friend, had made a last minute decision  today, to fly over to the Big Island as well! Awesome! I couldn't have been happier, especially not at this point! Also, John would be joining us Friday-Saturday with his room mate. Perfect! 
Corey arrived 1½ hour later on a hitch. He signed in quickly and we went for shopping and dinner with his new found friends Del and Jake. Del used to live on the Big Island when he was younger, but now he lives on Oahu and Jake moved out to Oahu from the Main land not too long ago. They were both very chill and laid back. We had a great evening together and Del insisted to buy us the dinner. Thank you again Del!

Back at the camping Matt was nowhere to be found, we chilled for a bit and just blogged and made short updates to our families back home. Then it was time to use the tent for the first time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment